Spring is in the air, and we are really feeling the urge to enjoy springtime to the fullest. Walks in the park, spring cleaning, and a new wardrobe of warm-weather fashion are all a part of the experience. One of the best parts of springtime is seeing all of our favorite fruits and veggies come back into season. Nothing quite beats fresh, ripe, organic produce in the spring!
Whether you get your produce at your local grocery store or your local farmer’s market, you’re likely to see some of these options showing up in abundance:
- Snap peas
- Sprouted beans
- And more!
These spring vegetables are just now coming into season, and we plan to take full advantage. It feels so good to gather a variety of fresh, locally-grown and organic produce and prepare a healthy meal for yourself and your family.
Why don’t you join us? Below is a delicious spring eating recipe from Genexa. We modified this recipe from EatingWell to make it gluten-free, dairy-free, and just about as healthy as possible. Though this recipe is made with chicken, we encourage our vegetarian and vegan friends to use your favorite meat substitute for an equally-tasty main dish!
Herbed Chicken with Fresh Spring Veggies
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp plus 1 tbs gluten-free flour or corn starch
- 1 lb chicken breast or meat substitute, sliced into thin cutlets
- 1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh snap peas, halved
- 1 cup fresh artichoke hearts, quartered
- ½ cup asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup sprouted beans (not bean sprouts!)
- 3 tbs fresh herbs of choice (tarragon and chives recommended)
- Mix the broth, mustard, salt, pepper, and 2 teaspoons of flour in a small bowl until smooth.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. In a shallow dish, mix 1 tablespoon of flour with 1 tablespoon of fresh herbs, and salt and pepper to taste. Coat the chicken cutlets on either side with the flour mixture and cook in the skillet, flipping regularly until browned on either side. Continue until all the chicken is cooked and remove the cutlets from the pan.
- Add the broth mixture to the pan along with the artichokes, asparagus, peas, and sprouted beans. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring constantly, for about 3-5 minutes or until the veggies are just tender-crisp.
- Return the chicken to the pan and nestle the cutlets among the vegetables. Simmer all together for an additional 2-3 minutes, until veggies are tender and chicken is warmed through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 2 teaspoons of herbs.
And there you have it! A simple, one-pan recipe full of our favorite spring vegetables. Even better, it’s gluten-free, dairy-free, and optionally vegetarian/vegan! Feels pretty good to be eating clean this spring, doesn’t it?
Remember, for more healthy and delicious content like this, make sure you sign up for our email list. Happy spring!