Looking for some healthier alternatives this Thanksgiving? Check out some of our team members' favorite healthy home recipes and tell us which one you're going to try this year! Our first post was from our President, Max, who shared a simple sweet potato side dish.
If you're more advanced and looking for a bit of a challenge, here's a recipe from our CEO and co-founder David Johnson, who was actually a professional chef before he and Max founded Genexa! This brussels sprouts recipe includes shallots and mushrooms for a delicious veggie dish that's sure to impress even the most hard-to-please Thanksgiving guests.
Roast Brussels Sprouts Recipe
For brussels sprouts
- 3 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb large shallots (about 6), cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices and separated into rings (2 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 lb mixed fresh wild mushrooms such as chanterelle and oyster, trimmed, quartered if large
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- a deep-fat thermometer
Roast brussels sprouts:
- Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss Brussels sprouts with oil, garlic, salt, and pepper, then spread out in 1 layer in 2 large shallow baking pans (17 by 12 inches). Roast, stirring occasionally and switching position of pans halfway through roasting, until tender and browned, 25 to 35 minutes.
Fry shallots while brussels sprouts roast:
- Heat oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until temperature measures 250°F, then fry shallots in 3 batches, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per batch (watch closely, as shallots can burn easily). Quickly transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, spreading in a single layer. (Shallots will crisp as they cool.) Pour off oil from skillet (do not clean).
Sauté mushrooms and assemble dish:
- Heat 5 tablespoons butter in skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then sauté mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add wine, thyme, salt, and pepper and boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to a glaze, about 2 minutes. Add water (1/2 cup) and remaining tablespoon butter and simmer, swirling skillet, until butter is melted. Transfer to a serving dish and stir in Brussels sprouts. Sprinkle with some of shallots and serve with remaining shallots on the side.
And voila! Get ready to impress your friends and family with this expert dish from Genexa's resident chef.